Hire Heroes Program
The Hire Heroes Transitional Jobs Program for Veterans is a public/private partnership that offers local businesses access to subsidized veteran employees with the goal of helping veterans with high barriers gain job skills needed to transition into long-term sustainable employment.
Eligible veterans can enter subsidized employment for up to 1,040 hours to gain new or updated skills through on-the-job training. Employers can train eligible veterans while being reimbursed federal minimum wage.
Eligible individuals must meet these requirements:
1. At least 18 years of age.
2. Must be a veteran, as defined under Wis. Stat. § 45.01(12).
3. Must have applied to the program at any time after the date of discharge from military service.
4. Must be ineligible to participate in the Wisconsin Works program.
5. Must be unemployed for at least four weeks.
6. Satisfy all requirements related to substance abuse screening, testing, and treatment.
Interested veterans or employers should contact their local job center for more information and enrollment information at
Local business gain access to subsidized veteran employees
Veterans gain subsidized employment for up to 1,040 hours to gain new or updated skills through on-the-job training